There is a time in every cinephile's life when things get hectic and flat-out. Too hectic to sit down and watch a full feature film. Yes? No? Surely this happens to other cinema addicts, not just me. Don't you get the cinema-DT's after a few days of not watching a film, that itchy feeling that crawls on your skin when you're hips-deep in work, sprinting to meet deadlines, craving for a morsel of tasty cinema? No? Shit, it must just be me.
I've found that, whilst in the midst of balls-to-the-wall work, there's still little mini-opportunities to assuage the hunger, tide myself over until I can sit back, relax, and nestle myself deep into cine-visual bliss. I love the distraction that YouTube, and all it's little vid-sharing ilk, offer to me – a nostalgia-cornucopia I can delve into whenever I have the hankering to trawl for obscure 80's music videos, old BBC documentaries, or hilarious posts from people who think they've caught a ghost on video. But none of these things satisfy the need to see something, to have your visual senses electrified and sharpened. To feel like you're dipping once more into the historical ocean of cinema.
That's why I like to to take a brief time-out here and there, and watch a short, yet complete, cinematic tidbit, something that keeps the well from drying up. Here's a list of fifteen short films, all under ten minutes long, that I've turned to in the past, recent and not-so-recent, to keep me refreshed. Anytime you're flat-out and need a fix, come to this place, you'll find a good little hit of something flavoursome. Yup, that's me, I'm your film pusher.
1. MOTHLIGHT (Stan Brakhage; USA; 1963)
2. LIGHT IS CALLING (Bill Morrison; USA; 2004)
3. BALANCE (Wolfgang & Christoph Lauerstein; Germany; 1989)
4. DUMB HOUNDED (Tex Avery; USA; 1943)
5. XOLOGOLA (Michael Robinson; USA; 2007)
Xologola from Michael Robinson on Vimeo.
6. SCIENCE FRICTION (Stan Vanderbeek; USA; 1959)
7. SCHWECHATER (Peter Kubelka; Austria; 1958)
8. THE HEART OF THE WORLD (Guy Maddin; Canada; 2000)
9. CARABOSSE (Lawrence Jordan; USA; 1980)
10. ALTAIR (Lewis Klahr; USA; 1995)
11. DUCK AMUCK (Chuck Jones; USA; 1953)
12. 69 (Robert Breer; USA; 1968)
13. DEADSY (David Anderson; UK; 1990)
14.LA FLAMME (Ron Dyens; France; 2000)
15. FREE RADICALS (Len Lye; New Zealand; 1958/1979)